Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Black Bottom Cupcakes

Yummm!


My son has recently decided that he does not like icing. (Huh?where did that come from?) This presents a problem with the traditional cupcakes for the class birthday treat, so my husband suggested I try black-bottom cupcakes, a chocolate/cream cheese confection that needs no embellishment. And, as I mixed up a batch for his class, ( and one or two for the rest of us) it occurred to me how much I like Black and White as a color combination.

I like it in cupcakes.


I like it in pictures.




I like it in wedding cakes.


(Especially this black and white china scroll pattern cake I did in December. The plexiglass stand glows!)



I like it in animals.




And I like it in decorating.

Basically it is a fabulous color combo that you just can't go wrong with.
And if you want to try these gooey, creamy, chocolatey cupcakes yourself, here is the recipe.

Black Bottom Cupcakes


8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature

2 1/2 cups sugar

Salt

1 large egg

6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

2 1/4 cups flour









1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract




1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line two 12-cup muffin pans
with paper or foil baking cups. Using an electric mixer,
combine the cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and 1/8 teaspoon
salt. Add the egg and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips
and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, the
remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, the
baking soda and cocoa powder. Add 1 1/2 cups water,
the oil, vinegar and vanilla and stir until smooth.
3. Fill each baking cup two-thirds full with the cake
batter and top with 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese
mixture ( I made a little well in the middle.).
Bake until the edges are firm to the touch,
about 25 minutes.
Enjoy.


No comments: