Sunday, September 21, 2008

Serendipity! (Or why gossip is BAD!)


Last friday I had a wedding cake for Dawn. Dawn was a cute girl, who called me because I had done a cheesecake wedding cake for her cousin Kathy. And in conversation it came out that she was Evie's teacher's roommate until August. (Ms. Hackworth we love you.) This is one of the reason's I never gossip about anyone in Utah. EVERYONE knows someone who knows you. It is like the six degrees of Kevin Bacon, only WORSE!
Dawn had a very definite idea of what she wanted.
Hatboxes.
Now, I normally don't do hatbox wedding cakes. To me a little bit of fluff and flowery victoriana goes a LONG way. But these sounded neat.
So I sketched out three contrasting hatboxes, with antique gold accents, and cabbage roses on top.
This is how it turned out. What do you think? I love the gold braid handles. (not real fondant, I cheated and went to the fabric store. ) And the gold touched scrollwork.
And the stripes. The stripes were cool. Dawn and Jon's names were done in gold scrollwork around the top band, with brown and pink accents. It all went really nicely with her centerpieces, which were actual hatboxes, and gold runners.

Just don't ask me about the pink food.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

amazing. I found your blog on Keenans. you have such a talent that I can now totally appreciate it as I have tried and FAILED to even do the simplest decorations. You are so talented in so many ways. You are amazing Shelli!