Monday, June 2, 2008

Flannel Blanket Tutorial

After five years the principal at my kids elementary school is moving on to bigger and better things. (go Michelle) As a thank you for all the incredible things she has done the PTA decided to give her a gift, and I made a flannel rag quilt for her. I love flannel quilts, because they are soft, cuddly, easy to make, and you are not scared of using them. (I still won't use some of my pieced quilts)
*****If you can sew a straight line, you can make this quilt!!!!******
This makes a largish sized quilt, good for a bedspread, camp quilt, or just cuddling up on cold winter nights.
I used 2 yards of gold flannel, 2 yards of blue flannel, and four yards of denim for the back. (anything that frays well works. This quilt was our school colors, but use your imagination and make a funky bright baby quilt, or a pretty pastel.Applique a few of the blocks for a fun touch.)
I also used the thinnest weight bonded batting available.
Using your rotary cutter and mat cut material into ten inch squares. (Other sizes are great too, but for a quilt this big I like the bigger blocks. You can also use different sized blocks, but if you do, don't forget to figure in the seam allowances.)
Cut batting into six inch squares. Any bigger and the batting can show in the seams.

Now for the fun part. Get your kids, roommate, husband, or SO to help stack flannel sandwiches. Place a denim square right side down, then a piece of batting, then a piece of flannel, right side up. You should have a raw edged quilt block. To hold the pieces together, and give it that "quilted" look sew a large X from corner to corner on every block. Do this until you run out of fabric, or go cross eyed.
This quilt was 7 rows of seven blocks. The next step is to sew the blocks into rows. Place backs together, and make sure all raw edges face the same direction. Leave a one inch seam allowance for ample fraying. When the rows are finished, sew together, again making sure raw edges all face out.
Next take a SHARP pair of scissors, and cut into the seam allowance at 1/4 inch intervals. Be careful not to clip through the stitching line. (But if you do, just restitch. Not hard. I promise-I do it every time.) Now for the instant transformation. Wash the quilt and watch the edges make a lovely, fuzzy rag edge that you will just itch to pet.
WARNING: this is very messy. Be prepared to clean out your washer. Some people go to the laundromat, but how sad for the person who comes after you and gets a washer full of threads on their clothes. So just wipe it out with a damp paper towel. Also, a dryer sheet in the washer helps it to stay soft.
Shake the extra thread off, and enjoy.
Here is Michelle with her quilt. We will miss you.

2 comments:

tysenweber said...

Hello,
Thank you for your tutorial. I am planning on making my best friend a quilt when she leaves to go to college. I am a guy (I'm sure we can both agree that this is significant), and have never quilted. I can sew farily decently. Do you recommend me trying to complete this project or tackle an easier one. Another question it seems like denim isn't the best material for a comfortable blanket...is there another fabric that you can recommend or should I stick with the denim.
Thanks

ShelliRae said...

Denim actually works quite well, but flannel works as well, and is really comfortable. This is the easiest blanket project I do, so you should be fine. Good luck, send me a picture!