Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Yard Sales and Potato Bread

Sunday evening I spent a while going through an old recipe book I found at a yard sale. It is filled with great old circa-1950's recipes, and good down home breads. I happened on one for potato bread, so , having had mashed potatoes for dinner I economized and used the leftovers for bread. Two days later it is still fresh and soft, and Sutton and I had peanut butter and raspberry jam sandwiches with of course homemade raspberry jam. Yumm. This is Sutton's everyday lunch, but today I indulged as well. The bread is great. Give it a try.
Soft Potato Sandwich bread;
3 C milk, scalded
6 T Sugar, 6 T Butter, 2 T salt, 3 medium potatoes, mashed, 3 T yeast activated in 1/2 c warm water, 10-11 C flour, Course cornmeal.
Combine all ingredients except flour and cornmeal, add 4 C flour, mix until combined. In electric(I love my Kitchenaid) mixer slowly add flour 1 C at a time until you have a soft dough. Knead 5 Min. Let rise until doubled, Knead 5 min, let rise second time. Sprinkle cormeal into loaf pans, shape bread, and let rise. Bake at 375 until golden and crunchy on the outside. Eat at least one loaf hot. Makes 4 loaves. Yumm.

1 comment:

Lolly B said...

love your pictures - and what you have written is great -- please include alot more of your cake pictures - do you need some copies from Britt? There are alot out of your cake book - use them.

Happy b-day tomorrow

love,
mom